Cannabis tea, just like other edibles, can be a great way to consume cannabis without having to smoke it. In fact, some people even say that cannabis-infused tea is the healthiest way to consume some high quality weed, as it also helps users avoid the unnecessary sugars and fats that come with edibles.
However, making cannabis tea is a lot more than simply throwing buds into water and bringing it to a boil. If you are looking to get the most out of your tea, it requires a lot of precision.
But before we get down to the recipe, let’s answer some of the frequently asked questions relating to cannabis tea.
Does weed tea get you high?
While the short answer is yes, it does depend on a lot of factors. To begin with, creating cannabis infused tea which provides the same medicinal and intoxicating effects is not that simple.
This is simply because of decarboxylation, i.e. the process which converts the raw non-intoxicating THCA to the more useful THC. When smoking or vaping, the heat applied to the cannabis buds provokes decarboxylation, without any additional efforts from our part.
When making edibles and beverages, we often need to combine cannabis with additional substances like butter or ghee to invoke this process.
Which is why it is absolutely necessary to follow instructions to the letter.
How long does weed tea take to kick in?
Like edibles, cannabis tea also needs to pass through the digestive system, before finally being metabolized in the liver.
Naturally, this takes much longer than simply smoking, which typically sets in within a few minutes.
With cannabis infused tea, you might just have to wait anywhere between 30-40 minutes and two whole hours to start feeling the effects.
Do keep in mind that it is extremely easy to overdose while drinking weed tea or ingesting other edibles. It’s always best to start low and go slow. Drink a cup and wait. Afterall, you could always make yourself another one if you need it.
How to make cannabis-infused tea?
- ½ grams of your favorite weed strain
- ½ teaspoon of butter
- 1 ½ cups of water
- Sugar or honey to taste (optional)
- Use a grinder and crush your cannabis buds into fine pieces. Then add these ground up buds into the butter and mix them up well in a bowl. Keep stirring the mixture together till you see all of the weed covered with a fine layer of butter.
- In a pot or kettle, add one and half cups of water and bring it to a simmer over medium heat.
- Next, you want to gently scoop the butter and marijuana mixture into the water. It’s best to use a spatula, or you might just have to scrape the sides of the bowl using a spoon to get all the ground pieces of marijuana into the water.
- Keep the water to a simmer, and gently stir the mixture for around 30 minutes while the tea brews.
- Strain and pour the tea into a cup, add honey or sugar for taste.